Asbestos, which is a naturally-occurring mineral, is responsible for many health conditions and diseases. Over the years, the use of asbestos has reduced considerably, especially for building materials, but the mineral is still in use. Besides being directly exposed to deadly asbestos fibers, a person can get sick with secondhand exposure, as well. A number of lung diseases have been linked with the mineral. In this post, we will talk about the diseases and conditions caused by asbestos, besides discussing mesothelioma cure in brief.
- Pleural Plaque – This is a condition in which the tissues around the diaphragm and lungs thickens and hardens. As the pleura thickens, it can compress the lung, and it is possible to find the condition in an X-ray. The tissue will show up as a mass in the image of the X-ray.
- Pleural effusion – This is a condition, in which excess fluid is found the pleural space, which is the area between the lungs and chest wall.
- Asbestosis – The lung tissues, in this condition, becomes scarred. If you are a heavy smoker and have Asbestosis, you are at greater risk of lung cancer.
- Lung cancer (not to be confused with Mesothelioma) – Lung cancer occurs in the lung tissues and can be fatal if not detected and diagnosed in time.
- Mesothelioma – This is an aggressive cancer that occurs in the tissues surrounding the lungs. Mesothelioma does not have any known cure, and in most cases, treatments start with curative therapies, followed by palliative therapy.
- Ovarian cancer – Yes, ovarian cancer is caused by asbestos exposure. In many cases, the father or the man of the house was exposed to the mineral at work.
- Clubbed Fingers – Patients suffering from asbestosis often have a condition called clubbed fingers. In this condition, the tip of the fingers looks swollen and misshapen.This condition is not directly related to exposure to asbestos fibers but more due to the effects of asbestosis.
Getting help for asbestos cancer
As mentioned, there’s no cure for asbestos cancer or mesothelioma. However, if detected early, patients can have a better quality of life and increased life expectancy. Also, there is legal and financial help available. If you have asbestos cancer, you can get compensated for the medical bills, travel expenses related to treatment and other kinds of expenses, especially if you need hired help for some of the chores. Also, emotional and psychological suffering might be considered for the compensation amount.
How to get treated for mesothelioma?
Malignant mesothelioma can spread faster than expected, and in many cases, the patient does not realize the possible side effects until the last stage. If you think you have been exposed to asbestos at any point and have symptoms like chest pain, pain around the back and sides of the chest and unexpected dry coughing, talk to a doctor right away. It is possible to start medication early, and you can liver longer than expected. As stated earlier, doctors also use palliative care, which will reduce the signs and symptoms and will help the patient in having a better quality of life.
Check online now to get help for asbestos cancer.
Author Bio – Nancy is a blog and content writer with more than 20 years of professional experience. Nancy has been writing about mesothelioma and cancer for close to eight years.